I was so ambitious in trying to projection map and picking an unconventional object. I settled on a rose with a long stem, and spent time mapping around the leaves.

I was hoping that the object I would pick would inspire what the visuals and performance would be, but that didn’t turn out to be the case.

I then tried mapping to a blocked bookshelf and trying to do something with sound, before realizing that I should have the visuals decided before even thinking about sound. I recalled the Blue Man Group performance we saw in Dubai, and thought to do something with miniature drums. This would’ve been what I would have gone for, if not for the fact that I couldn’t get two tilt sensors to work in Isadora at the same time. I got them both to read data – which was such a minute moment of happiness because I hadn’t gotten two sensors working on my own before. But this joy faded away when I couldn’t get Isadora to read them both. So I tried working with a distance sensor and tilt sensor, and was able to get the serial communication happening.

In hindsight, I would have approached this project starting from am idea rather than jumping from mapping to sound to visuals to sensors. What I should do is create a plan for myself of what I want to achieve, and how I would do it, and what would be the first steps. It’s just a little disappointing because I feel like since we’re nearing the end of the semester, my weekly projects should be shown with some confidence and success rather than tried and failed experiments.

Anyways, here’s what I ended up with. I used found materials as a projection surface. The form is inspired by Semiconductor’s Catch the Light.

projection week (film file here)